This post is a continuation of this post.
Bought domain from namecheap. carpentryhq.com – I quite like the domain (even though I’m not interested in carpentry even in the slightest!). Surprised it’s available!
Transferred DNS to 1and1 hosting account.
Cloned local repo for /carpentryhq/ from Github account. Created /carpentryhq/ directory in 1and1 FTP.
Bonus: While I was sorting out the Git repo etc, I decided to use a very simple template I made previously. This is by no means a framework, just something I’ve made quick recently. (just has basic design, plus bootstrap, some fonts, LESS, and header/footer includes) Feel free to use and modify it yourself – https://github.com/joetann/quick-simple-website
To set up GIT with 1and1 & Github:
- SSH into 1and1
- mkdir /carpentryhq/
- cd /carpentryhq/
- git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:[USER]/[REPO]
- [in this case] –> git clone email@example.com:joetann/quick-simple-website.git
Then to deploy:
- Make all changes locally
- Commit changes
- Sync with Github
- SSH into 1and1 your newly cloned directory on the server
- git pull
Almost forgot – need to point the domain to the correct server directory from the 1and1 control panel. Done.
Bought email marketing monthly plan from Mailchimp ($10/m).
Note: Silly me couldn’t get 1and1 IMAP working with Mac Mail client. If anyone has the same problem… Make sure you have the actual email address as username, not just the [THIS]@email.com.
Pages I need to make:
- Homepage (email lead)
- Thank you (check email) (link to clickbank offer)
- Email confirmed (download link) (link to clickbank offer)
Emails I need to make:
- Confirm email subscription
- Thanks for subscribing
- Download PDF
- [autoresponder + 1 day] Offer
- [autoresponder + 3 days] Offer